Electronically stored information is the driving force behind innovation, achievement and success. As a managed service provider (MSP), you are fully aware how your clients depend on data to run their business operations. Although each client has its own requirements, all of them share the same fate — a devastating financial and reputational hit to their businesses — if their data should become lost, corrupt or unavailable.
E-commerce companies, for example, would be in dire straits if they lost their mailing lists, product lists, and catalogs. Similarly, clinics and hospitals could have to deal with medical records becoming lost, corrupt or breached. In addition to affecting operations, breached medical information can cause healthcare facilities to fall out of compliance with regulatory standards, facing the possibility of legal action and harsh penalties.
Paradoxically, a 2013 Harris Interactive poll shows that 30% of computer users have never backed up their data.
In today’s 24/7/365 marketplace, businesses across nearly every industry expect continuous, uninterrupted access to services, websites, and information at any time, all the time. If a hard drive crash or natural disaster renders data unavailable — even for just a few minutes — the damage to profits, reputation and customer loyalty can be unrecoverable.
And if sensitive data, such as private personal information, contracts, customer records, shipping lists, and the like — becomes corrupt or lost, the hit can be far more severe.
Effective continuity planning requires far more preparedness than a company can undertake on its own. It demands a thoughtful, methodical approach that can be achieved by working with MSPs to ensure that service-level agreements are aligned with the clients’ recovery strategies and that expected recovery scenarios will be fulfilled in a timely fashion.
What to Do | Backup Requirements
While there’s no way to forecast the future, Forbes reports that 20 percent of all cyberattacks target companies with fewer than 250 employees. Even more staggering is the fact that 60 percent of small business that fall victim to a cyber attack end up closing within six months.
How can MSPs prepare customers for the worst?
The lessons learned from these statistics clearly show that you should be preparing for the worst.
The first course of action is to urge clients to take their data backups seriously. Forgetting to back up data only to rush it before leaving for the weekend doesn’t get the job done. Neither does backing up a company’s critical data to a USB thumb drive.
And while there’s nothing to stop clients from buying off-the-shelf software applications to perform their own backups, such purchases should be discouraged. Such tasks are often complicated, time-consuming and require users to possess varying levels of IT knowledge.
Moreover, backup software applications have been known to fail. Without a backup plan, companies can be left high and dry when it comes to backing up their data or recovering data that has not been backed up properly to begin with.
Frequently, an employee is designated as the data backup operator, with little consideration for his or her IT background or experience. Because backup operations should be performed on an on-going basis, the more often a company backs up, the more time it takes away from having the employee perform his core duties. Unless a client is fully committed to handling 24x7 monitoring and verification of backups, then he or she is putting data in jeopardy.
Here’s Where MSPs Come In
MSPs can relieve clients of these pain points and deliver peace of mind by offering a backup solution that is more reasonable when compared to the costs, hassles and possible damage associated with a data loss incident. At the same time, MSPs can also ensure that their clients follow all required compliance regulations. In this way, clients can help their customers focus on growing their business, without having to mess with the stress and irritations of IT, thereby strengthening their bond with customers and wining them over for life.
To offer backup as a service, MSPs must do more than collect random technology assets and begin selling them. They must find the right tools for the right job. After all, a backup strategy does not stop at backups. Not only must data be copied and stored for safekeeping, appropriate recovery mechanisms must be in place that allow the backed-up information to be recovered when needed.
As an MSP, you back up client data with recovery in mind, knowing that you will someday need to recover that information. For this reason, having backup and recovery tools that work hand-in-hand is key to a successful offering.
MSP Backup & Recovery from SolarWinds (formerly LOGICnow)
MSP Backup & Recovery simplifies the backup and recovery of your clients' critical data, applications and systems. Unlike on-premises backups, which are slow, error-prone and subject to hardware failures, MSP Backup’s Disk-to-Disk-to-Cloud (D2D2C) model delivers online backups that are fast, highly available and efficient.
Some of MSP Backup & Recovery's key features include:
- Automation. Backup operations can be performed automatically at specific times, such as overnight and on weekends. MSPs are alerted if a problem requires their attention.
- Performance. All changes at the file, application or even database level — no matter how small or how big — are tracked automatically to back up all types of data rapidly with minimal impact on your servers.
- “Belts and braces approach.” MSPs can back up client data to their own servers or to SolarWinds MSP's geographically disbursed data centers worldwide. All data centers provide continuous physical security, adhere to SSAE or ISO regulations and deliver true 99.999% uptime.
- Security. Private key encryption guarantees your clients' privacy by limiting access to authorized parties only. MSP Backup’s security capabilities comply with HIPAA and other regulations.
- Centralized management. All client backup processes can be managed and tracked using a single, central dashboard console.
- Minimal bandwidth. MSP Backup consumes the smallest amount of bandwidth possible when transferring data off client sites, making it the ideal solution for clients with weak or spotty Internet connections.
- Cost. Using a cost-effective pay-per-GB-per-month approach, MSPs are not charged for more than what they receive. There are no hidden fees or overhead for upgrades.
- Professional Services. MSP Backup is backed by SolarWinds MSP’s Professional Services team. Our team can answer your questions about backup or IT in general. Think of them as having your own dedicated IT experts available to you at any time.
- Additional SolarWinds MSP solutions. MSP Backup is one member in the SolarWinds MSP product family. Our products are designed to work in harmony to deliver best-in-breed capabilities that you can pass along to your clients at a compelling, cost-effective price.
Backup Solutions with SolarWinds MSP
Data is the lifeblood of today’s businesses and backup is like a life insurance policy that protects those data assets.
For MSPs that have the right tools to offload backup activities from their clients, the disaster recovery market can be profitable. According to a 2016 MarketsandMarkets report, the Disaster Recovery as a Service market will be worth $11.11 billion by 2021. It's expected to grow at a 45.9 percent compound annual growth rate (CAGR) between 2016 and 2021.
Clients that recognize the need for a serious and effective data protection are willing to pay for it, and MSPs equipped with the right tools stand to enjoy a lucrative opportunity, with impressive margins and return on their investments.
Using MSP Backup & Recovery, your clients will never experience lengthy downtimes in the event that their data should become lost, corrupt or otherwise unavailable. Its features and price point, compared to the heavy cost of downtime, should make a compelling case for you to sell your backup service offerings to current and potential customers alike.
Try MSP Backup & Recovery free for 30 days — no credit card required.
About SolarWinds MSP
SolarWinds MSP delivers the only 100% SaaS, fully cloud-based IT service management (ITSM) platform, backed by collective intelligence and the highest levels of layered security. SolarWinds MSP’s products including Risk Intelligence, Remote Management, Backup & Disaster Recovery, Mail, and Service Desk – comprise the market’s most widely trusted integrated solution.
Deployed on millions of endpoints across hundreds of thousands of networks, the platform has the industry vision to define and deliver the future of the market. SolarWinds MSP provides the most comprehensive IT security available as well as LOGICcards, the first ever IT notification feature powered by prescriptive analytics and machine learning.
SolarWinds MSP’s passion is helping IT professionals secure and manage their systems and data through actionable insights, rewriting the rules of IT.
For more information, visit www.solarwindsmsp.com.