Vulnerability Scan Tools From SolarWinds MSP
Nearly every company today — regardless of size, budget, industry, or location — relies on the Internet for communication and collaboration. Unfortunately, businesses face network threats such as viruses, Trojans, spyware, ransomware, and other malicious programs (or “malware”) that have become increasingly complex and multi-faceted. Compromised computers, breaches in company data, and leaked personal identification information pose potentially devastating legal and financial consequences.
For MSPs and IT professionals, vulnerability scan tools like the multi-layered security solutions available from SolarWinds MSP (formerly LOGICnow) help protect enterprise data and entire networks from all angles.
Network Security Scanning and Vulnerability Assessments
Vulnerability scan tools have become a security requirement for every organization to prevent serious data loss or security breeches. Vulnerability scan tools can strengthen an organization’s security posture by combing the company network to collect information about devices (e.g., computers, servers, routers, and hubs), operating systems and applications installed on the network.
The data collected by a vulnerability assessment scan tool often includes:
- Identifying IP addresses and open ports
- Analyzing network and system activities
- Analyzing system configurations and vulnerabilities
- Recognizing typical attack patterns
- Analyzing abnormal network activity patterns
- Assessing system and file integrity
- Analyzing abnormal user activity patterns
- Tracking user policy violations
After the scan tool collects the data, it compares its findings to a database of known weaknesses, signature patterns and anomalous behaviors. These and other techniques detect and prioritize the vulnerabilities of the scanned network.
Finding the Best Network Security Solutions
Once you get past all the ancillary features, the fundamental cornerstone you want from a vulnerability scan tool is accuracy. A tool that reports vulnerabilities where none exist (referred to as a “false-positive”) can waste time, money and manpower, as IT teams attempt to prove or disprove the veracity of each false-positive result. It also takes IT departments away from real threats affecting the company.
In fact, more than half of over 200 IT staff surveyed by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) in 2015 replied that the large number of false-positives indicated by some vulnerability scan tools made them view such tools as noise generators. By their own admission, these IT experts reported that the fatigue brought on by chasing the large number of false-positives caused them to lose confidence in the ability of those tools to report potential and real breaches accurately.
Some scan tools can also err on the flip side by unwittingly ignoring or skipping over vulnerabilities. These instances of “false negatives” can leave networks open to attack, without any indication that the company network is vulnerable. To avoid instances of false negatives from being reported, scan tools may over-compensate and report every possible issue as a vulnerability, and then place the onus on the IT department once again to debunk which concerns are valid and which ones are not.
30% of organizations consulted in the same study indicated that the issue with false-positives is the primary value driver for using advanced analytics software, such as MSP Risk Intelligence from SolarWinds MSP.
Companies looking for a vulnerability scan tool must take into account the dynamic nature of networks and cyberattacks, along with the fact that a vulnerability scan tool should be part of a multi-layered network security approach. Incorporating the right combination of vulnerability detection and management tools is the most effective approach to securing enterprise data, networks and devices.
Vulnerability Scanning and Protection Tools From SolarWinds MSP
Doing more than just scanning your network for vulnerabilities, MSP Risk Intelligence provides the unique ability to analyze potential network security threats in terms of their likely financial impact. Knowing whether a particular vulnerability can expose the company to a financial loss of $10, $100, $1000 or $1,000,000 helps MSPs and IT professionals when deciding which vulnerabilities to fix first.
In addition to providing a dollar-based risk assessment, MSP Risk Intelligence:
- Supports lightweight scans and host-based scans. This helps provide the perfect mix of vulnerability checks locally and across networks, servers, workstations, applications, and mobile devices, all without consuming high amounts of valuable system resources.
- Discovers potential vulnerabilities with sensitive data — including personally identifiable information, protected health information, and a company’s custom file types — that resides on both networked and stand-alone devices.
- Provides the dollars-and-cents costs associated with risk within the organization, which helps in planning how to mitigate financial loss and spur calls to action.
- Gives you complete drill-down granular control and insight into the devices on your network.
- Conducts deep vulnerability scanning to find both surface-level security holes and vulnerability threats hidden deep within an organization's information infrastructure.
- Identifies risks from suspicious, dubious or clearly malevolent web downloads and email.
- Ensures that only the appropriate individuals have access to specified sensitive data.
- Generates trend reports that indicate past security improvements and suggests next steps to address future liabilities and increases in risk. Reports can be customized with logos for branding purposes and exported in CSV, Excel, and PDF formats.
- Reports on security alerts and inappropriate user access attempts.
- Performs PCI scans to achieve cost-effective PCI DSS compliance.
In the final analysis, calculating risk is more than just running calculations and algorithms. At its core, the vulnerability scan tool must instill users with a sense of confidence that the risks being reported are accurate and prioritized properly.
MSP Risk Intelligence conveys that assurance by protecting company networks without disrupting daily operations or generating wild-goose chases for IT staffs. By assigning a financial cost to identifiable risks in the workplace, MAX Risk Intelligence provides tangible and financial justification for convincing budget-conscious CFOs to take the necessary actions to preserve data assets and avoid future catastrophe and liability.
About SolarWinds MSP
SolarWinds MSP delivers the only 100% SaaS, fully cloud-based IT service management (ITSM) platform, backed by collective intelligence and the highest levels of layered security. SolarWinds MSP's MAX products including Risk Intelligence, Remote Management, Backup & Disaster Recovery, Mail and Service Desk – comprise the market’s most widely trusted integrated solution.
Deployed on millions of endpoints across hundreds of thousands of networks, the platform has the industry vision to define and deliver the future of the market. SolarWinds MSP provides the most comprehensive IT security available as well as LOGICcards, the first ever IT notification feature powered by prescriptive analytics and machine learning.
SolarWinds MSP's passion is helping IT professionals secure and manage their systems and data through actionable insights, rewriting the rules of IT. For more information, visit www.solarwindsmsp.com.
CSO Online: http://www.csoonline.com/article/data-protection/security-tools-effectiveness-hampered-by-false-positives.html
PCI DSS: https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org