Vulnerability Assessment Tools From SolarWinds MSP
Having vulnerability assessment tools is an absolute necessity for organizations of every size. A vulnerability assessment tool allows a company to identify, quantify and prioritize cyber security and data storage vulnerabilities within an enterprise network. Learn more about the threats facing business networks and how the vulnerability assessment tools from SolarWinds MSP (formerly LOGICnow) can help.
Assessing Network Security
As an MSP, you need to the most robust solution available to safeguard your clients' networks. Data breaches are becoming more and more sophisticated, so you don't want to leave your network security solution to chance.
Take fast food giant Wendy's as a cautionary tale. Hackers were able to infiltrate the payment card systems of more than 1,000 restaurants and steal personally identifiable information of thousands of customers as a result of a malware attack in early 2016.
Make sure you're investing in the latest vulnerability assessment tools to stay out in front of such attacks. You need the ability to identify weaknesses in your clients' systems, respond to real threats and attacks, and be able to recover when the worst happens.
Whitelists and Vulnerability Scanning
Having a compliant and patched enterprise network is the basis for a sound security posture. To achieve this goal, all assets within the network have to be identified and assembled into approved hardware and software configuration management baselines.
Once the approved software baseline is established, security specialists can create whitelists to be implemented on every device. These baselines become the foundation for the security scanning program and move the organization towards a continuous monitoring program.
Performing periodic vulnerability assessment scans and having a resource security baseline are critical for networked environments. This will provide the organization with valuable indications and warnings of data vulnerabilities. Some MSPs may need to research current Internet threats and current patch levels in order to prevent known attacks from posing an immediate threat to their clients' networks.
As vulnerable resources are identified, immediate threats should be documented and reported. This process needs to be repeated on a continuous basis to ensure the overall security of the organization’s IT infrastructure. A monthly vulnerability report helps track potential threats.
Vulnerability Assessments and Resolutions From SolarWinds MSP
MSPs and IT professionals need an alternative solution that will save time, money, and overall resources. SolarWinds MSP is an IT Service Management Provider that offers several leading cyber security products and services, including MSP Risk Intelligence.
The MSP Risk Intelligence vulnerability assessment tool is a turn-key solution to your cyber security concerns. Unlike basic vulnerability assessment tools, it provides a comprehensive picture to an organization’s network, devices, and data.
MSP Risk Intelligence offers multiple functional security aspects that can easily be translated into everyday language within the generated risk report:
- Unprotected Data Summary
View all the unprotected data on a network translated into dollar-figure liability. For example, 19 violated (unprotected) files on a system could be worth X amount of dollars lost if those files were breached. Having the expected financial liability for vulnerability reflected in the report allows for better-informed task prioritization.
- Vulnerability Summary
Analyze the network vulnerabilities by vendor. This can guide an organization in holding their vendors accountable on patching/increasing security safeguards or deciding to drop that vendor completely to reduce risk.
- Unprotected Data Details
See the specific location and details of files that could be at risk. This can be used to change security policies and to hold individuals accountable for not being compliant to proper standardized procedures.
- Scan Statistics
View the overall details of every vulnerability assessment scan, including the volumes scanned, files scanned, and how many suspected instances and suspect data were found.
- Network Port Details
Lists all ports within the network that could be vulnerable to potential hackers.
Layered Security to Protect From All Angles
The data backup and security solutions from SolarWinds MSP provide multiple layers of security. With more network defense layers, data loss and security breaches are far less likely.
- The first security layer is the physical security Max Risk Intelligence provides by giving a detailed report of all the open and closed ports within the enterprise network. MSPs, system administrators, or security specialists can lock down all open ports that pose a risk of vulnerability.
- The second layer is the Access Control settings that limit each user to data that directly corresponds to their specific role and responsibilities. For example, a member of the Business Development Department will not have access to files in the Human Resources Department, as those files would contain other employee salaries or Personal Private Information.
- The third layer is Data Confidentiality and Integrity. MAX Risk Intelligence conducts scans of all the files on the network and identifies files that should not be on a certain part of the network and/or files that are not fully protected according to protocol. These files could include Personal Identifiable Information (PII) and customer payment data.
- The fourth layer is the vulnerability of vendors and their at-risk applications. Having clear visibility into vendor security vulnerability helps MSPs and clients determine high-risk partnerships that can be avoided.
- The final layer is the scanning and reporting that provide a comprehensive overview of all the information on the network. Overall, MSP Risk Intelligence does not provide simply one solution, rather it provides a multi-layer approach to handling cyber security threats.
About SolarWinds MSP
SolarWinds MSP delivers the only 100% SaaS, fully cloud-based IT service management (ITSM) platform, backed by collective intelligence and the highest levels of layered security. SolarWinds MSP MAX products — including Risk Intelligence, Remote Management, Backup & Disaster Recovery, Mail and Service Desk — comprise the market’s most widely trusted integrated solution.
Deployed on millions of endpoints across hundreds of thousands of networks, the platform has the industry vision to define and deliver the future of the market. SolarWinds MSP provides the most comprehensive IT security available as well as LOGICcards, the first ever IT notification feature powered by prescriptive analytics and machine learning.
Our passion is helping IT professionals secure and manage their systems and data through actionable insights, rewriting the rules of IT. For more information, contact us today.
Try Remote Monitoring & Management Today
Get the tools you need to manage, secure, and improve all things IT—all within a single web-based dashboard.