Remote Backup Solutions
It’s a fact: the computers that run today’s businesses are all prone to a daunting list of potential data-loss problems. Malware, hardware or software failures, hard drive crashes, corrupt files, human error — they are all contributing factors.
Simply put, lost data is a certainty. The only unknowns are when it will occur and how painful it will be for companies to recover the data. That's why it pays for MSPs to have remote backup solutions in place.
What is Remote Backup and Why Do You Need It?
The financial impact of data loss can be staggering. Consider these facts:
- A 2015 study revealed that the annual cost of lost data is a whopping $1.7 trillion.
- As more and more business communications become digitized, analysts predict that the damage caused by lost and breached data will exceed $1.2 trillion.
But these figures merely scratch the surface by addressing only one aspect of data loss. Time and productivity must also be considered. In the end, the real cost of data loss cannot be easily pinpointed, even though its impact plays a significant role in productivity, profits and reputation.
Compliance adds additional considerations. If your clients work in a highly regulated industry like health care or finance, they have to answer to laws like HIPAA or government organizations like the SEC. Personally identifiable information (PII) must be protected, or they could be hit with fines and other consequences.
Remote backup solutions offer the best line of defense when it comes to protecting data. Remote backup refers to an online managed backup service that backs up a copy of the company’s data to a remote server located typically in a data center. To update or restore a backup, companies use either their web browser service or a client application from their service provider.
Files, folders, or the entire contents of hard drives can be automatically backed up on a regularly scheduled basis or incrementally any time the information changes. Backing up data to a server in a remote datacenter mitigates the risk of data loss associated with natural disasters (such as fire, floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, and tornadoes), technological malfunction (such as hard drive crashes), or human error (such as accidentally loss of data through deletion or formatting).
Despite this, many businesses don’t have a backup strategy in place or, if they do, it’s untested and unreliable.
Four Reasons to Use Remote Backup
Here are four compelling reasons to implement a remote backup solution for your clients:
- Dependability – An effective solution will automatically back up files — and update those backups — at regular intervals. The servers to which data is backed up often reside in multiple geographic locations, ensuring that backup and recovery operations can be performed even if a server is unavailable. And because it's an online solution, the speed underpins its reliability.
- Automation – In the past, backups meant individuals had to manually specify the files to be copied. Remote backup solutions, on the other hand, can be configured for automatic operation, requiring little, if any, human intervention.
- Security – To secure the backed-up data at rest, backup providers will locate their servers in secure data centers. Beyond that, data transmitted to and from the secure data center is further secured from prying eyes using encryption.
- Cost savings – Remote backup solutions offer a nearly unlimited amount of backup space — a benefit for organizations that have large amounts of data stored on multiple computers that require regular backups. This point can be particularly economical for companies that operate markets and verticals that require frequent backups.
Securing Data Against Disaster, Human Error and System Failures
MSP Backup & Recovery from SolarWinds MSP (formerly LOGICnow) is an offsite data backup solution designed to safeguard your critical business data safely and efficiently.
This automated system eliminates the hassles associated with conventional backups without requiring user intervention. Because your data in motion and at rest is encrypted using Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) 128-bit encryption at a minimum, this solution meets the privacy requirements of regulated industries. Beyond that, every MAX Backup data center, no matter where in the world, is SSAE compliant or ISO certified, guarantees 99.999% uptime and boasts 24/7 physical security.
After a simple configuration process, it's is ready to back up the data on your server. For convenience, data can be backed up at the file, volume, and application levels, and then sent over an encrypted connection to geographically distributed data centers at time intervals and frequencies that suit your business cases.
In addition to protecting data at multiple locations, geographically distributed data centers ensure you can recover your data when you need it, even if a remote backup server at one location is down. Best of all, you choose the country where the backed up data is stored — and that’s where it stays, regardless of who comes looking for a copy.
If the day of reckoning occurs and you need to recover local data that has been destroyed, erased or stolen, you can easily retrieve the information you need using an intuitive self-service web portal or engage our assistance to deliver the information directly to the desired destination.
Benefits of MSP Backup & Recovery
- Seamless integration with popular operating systems and applications allow you to back up as little as one file or as large as specific applications, Windows servers and anything in between.
- Automatic tracking of incremental file changes shortens backup windows and accelerates backup operations.
- Deep Deduplication, Altered Data Tracking, and WAN Optimization technologies deliver the fastest and smartest backups in the industry. Backups are designed to be as least invasive as possible, with no impact on business operations or Internet connections.
- Redundant remote and local backup options keep backup policies running normally even during an Internet outage.
Get Total Layered Security
Our layered security solutions keep client data safe and operations running smoothly. Put our comprehensive set of tools in place and inspire confidence in your customers.
In addition to MSP Backup & Recovery, take a look at:
- MSP RMM – Take total control over with one piece of software and one dashboard. Enjoy web protection, managed antivirus, automated monitoring and more.
- MSP Risk Intelligence – Make data breaches easier for your clients to understand by monetizing risks. By providing real dollar amounts, they'll better comprehend the need for security investments.
- MSP Mail Protection – With MAX Mail, your clients' email is always on and always protected. Take advantage of advanced encryption, email continuity, email archiving and more.
- LOGICcards – Get data-driven insights to make security better and stop new problems before they start.
About SolarWinds MSP
SolarWinds MSP delivers the only 100% SaaS, fully cloud-based IT service management (ITSM) platform, backed by collective intelligence and the highest levels of layered security. SolarWinds MSP MAX products including Risk Intelligence, Remote Management, Backup & Disaster Recovery, Mail and Service Desk – comprise the market’s most widely trusted integrated solution.
Deployed on millions of endpoints across hundreds of thousands of networks, the platform has the industry vision to define and deliver the future of the market. SolarWinds MSP provides the most comprehensive IT security available as well as LOGICcards, the first ever IT notification feature powered by prescriptive analytics and machine learning.
SolarWinds MSP's passion is helping IT professionals secure and manage their systems and data through actionable insights, rewriting the rules of IT. For more information, contact us today.
Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/netgeneral/real-cost-data-loss-and-how-prevent-it.html
IT Web: http://www.itweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=143156
Tech Advisory: http://www.techadvisory.org/2013/06/offsite-backup-5-benefits/