Network Vulnerability Assessment | 6 Vital Steps
Do you know what steps you need to take to assess the vulnerability of your network? An assessment of your network security will make sure that the business you conduct and the data you store remains strictly between you and your customers, reducing the threat of third-party breach, data loss, or malware.
What is a Network Vulnerability Assessment?
A vulnerability assessment is the process of identifying and classifying any security holes in your network or communication systems. In analyzing vital aspects of your data management, you determine the effectiveness of your current security software and any additional measures that must be taken.
The key focus of a vulnerability analysis is to:
- Define and classify network and/or system resources
- Identify potential threats to these resources
- Develop a strategy to tackle the most serious threats
- Define and implement ways to minimize the likelihood of these threats becoming more serious, and the resulting consequences
As new viruses are created and technology changes, you must make sure that your security software is prepared to handle the latest threats.
6 Steps to Assess Your Network Security
Follow these six steps to assess the vulnerability of your network:
Step 1: Identify and understand the way your business is organized and operates
- Most businesses rely on collaboration between representatives from their internal business units, legal teams, and finance departments to coordinate with IT professionals regarding their exact network needs. Consider issues such as client or customer privacy, regulatory compliance, business processes, and competitive positioning within your industry.
Step 2: Locate the applications and data that are used during the business process
- Identify which of these are sensitive and what information is at risk in the event of a privacy breach.
Step 3: Search for hidden data sources that may allow easy access to secure information
- This is especially important if there is cloud-based access to private data or access across multiple platforms, including smartphones and tablets.
Step 4: Identify both virtual and physical servers that run applications necessary for your business operations
- These servers may not be protected and may allow access to sensitive information without you knowing it.
Step 5: Keep track of what security measures are already in place
- Your network protection may already include specific policies, firewalls, virus detection, VPNs, disaster recovery, and encryption. It’s important to understand the capabilities of your current security measures in order to properly address any vulnerabilities.
Step 6: Scan your network for vulnerability
- The results of this scan will give you confirmation of your network’s security. Should a virus or vulnerable area be identified, you will need to develop a network security strategy, possibly with the help of an MSP.
Keep Your Servers Secure with SolarWinds MSP (formerly LOGICnow)
If you are an IT professional who needs reliable and efficient vulnerability assessment solutions, trust SolarWinds MSP’s remote management software to help you secure your networks. Our solutions automatically scan, detect, and patch areas of your network that may contain malicious viruses or spyware. Start your free trial today!