Email Archiving Solutions | A Guide
Gain Peace of Mind with Email Archiving
Email has become the preferred communication method among businesses. It's a fact backed by statistics. The Gartner Group found that email accounts for 97% of business communications. And it makes sense. It's easy to use and simple to reach practically anyone.
Given today’s dependencies on email, organizations need a way to support the enormous growth that continues to occur unabated in the workplace. There needs to be a centralized storage depot that allows users to retrieve critical messages in minutes. That solution is email archiving.
What is an Email Archive?
Email archiving involves storing email messages in a safe, centralized location from which email content can be retrieved at any time. This is different from email backup, which takes snapshots that can be used for disaster recovery. Unlike an archive, a backup is kept for a shorter amount of time and is then replaced with a new version.
Because archived email is stored in a central hub, there's no need for employees to have personal archives on their own workstations. It also mitigates the loss of emails that employees delete, either inadvertently or intentionally. This saves time, money and manpower. IT staff aren't forced to search all over the place to hunt down an important message.
Why Email Archiving Is Necessary
Although email has become a highly valuable corporate information asset, most email messages and attachments are scattered across employee mailboxes throughout the company.
In the past, employees were responsible for maintaining their own email archives, while IT departments backed up email in a way that made it difficult — if not impossible — to search messages for particular content.
If a user needed a specific email, it could take days or weeks to find it. Over time, users remove email by accident, intentionally or even maliciously. Computers crash. Employees come and go. All of these scenarios cause email messages and attachments to become deleted, lost, untraceable or corrupt.
Here are a couple of examples where email archiving could have been beneficial to two financial companies:
- In 2013, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) ordered LPL Financial to pay $9 million as a result of "significant email system failures," according to Reuters.
- IN 2015, FINRA hit Scottrade with a $2.6 million penalty by FINRA for what it deemed to be "significant failures in required electronic records and email retention."
Email archiving also reduces the amount of storage space needed, as compared to emails stored on online mail servers.
Advantages of Implementing an Email Archiving Solution
Here are some of the top reasons for archiving email.
1. Regulatory Advantages
If your business is in a highly regulated industry, there are going to be rules governing how you secure, retain and access emails. An email archiving system are necessary for compliance. Email records need to be preserved in their entirety and readily accessible. If your organization is haphazard in how it archives emails, you could be staring down fines, sanctions and other consequences.
If your industry regulated by the following, email archiving is critical:
- Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
2. Legal Advantages
If your business is party to a legal case, you may have to turn over email communications that span a number of years during the eDiscovery process. An effective email archiving solution can retrieve the requested archival data faster and more economically. It also will preserve the original content of the messages.
3. Data Storage Advantages
Turning to an email archiving solution will spare your mail server from excess capacity. Because your archive solution is a separate storage depot, it gives the mail server a break and leads to better performance. It will also reduce or eliminate the instances of lost emails. This saves time and money.
Features to Look for in an Email Archiving Solution
Below are some key features that should be a part of any quality email archiving software:
- Management access for authorized users
- Robust automation
- Logical indexing and fast search capabilities
- Configurable features
- Security to eliminate tampering
- Messaging platform support
And while it serves a different purpose, a comprehensive backup product is just as critical. Wouldn't it be nice if you could find both in the same place?
SolarWinds MSP (Formerly LOGICnow): Your Answer for Email Archiving and Backup
MSP Mail Protection: Total Email Security and Continuity
MSP Mail Protection from SolarWinds MSP is your comprehensive email solution that includes a secure email archiving platform. It checks all of the boxes to help your business stay compliant with even the most stringent regulations. MSP Mail Protection archiving establishes a clear chain of custody for your organization's emails in the event it becomes involved in a legal matter.
Check out all that MSP Mail Protection archiving offers in the list below:
- Cloud storage backed up in multiple data centers in North America and Europe supports compliance and redundancy.
- Archived email is encrypted at rest and all transfers are protected by secure communication protocols.
- Records are safeguarded with a checksum that eliminates tampering and preserves integrity.
- Emails are automatically indexed by multiple attributes for easier searching. Add tags to make retrieval even easier.
- All user activities are logged, establishing a defensible paper trail.
- Integrations with popular third-party platforms, like Microsoft Outlook and Office 365.
- The platform supports PST, MBOX and EML email formats.
- It works with cloud-based infrastructure like Office 365 and Google Apps, as well as on-premise archives.
Go Beyond Archiving
The following table describes the value propositions afforded by MSP Mail Protection:
Robust email security
MSP Backup & Recovery: An Enterprise-Class Solution
Even if you think you have all of the best security measures in place, you are still susceptible to new cyberthreats, hardware failures and natural disasters. With SolarWinds MSP's MSP Backup & Recovery, not only can you archive all of your important data, but you also get your systems up and running again in minutes. You have no time to spare when a disaster hits.
Look at all MSP Backup & Recovery offers in the list below:
- Continuous recovery allows you to restore your system in minutes.
- Data archiving preserves all important files, not just email. And they're stored in ISO-certified and SSAE-compliant data centers with top-grade encryption.
- Bare metal recovery is easier when you don't have a choice but start from scratch.
- Hybrid cloud recovery adds speed and redundancy.
- True Delta technology and Backup Accelerator supercharge recovery.
- File versioning lets you designate a minimum numbers of versions you'd like to retain.
- Virtual machine backups keep Hyper-V and VMware systems on the ready.
- Have your own infrastructure? No problem. Download our software-only version.
All Part of a Robust Layered Security Plan
Archiving and backup are just two key components of a complete layered security suite — they're your Reactive Security solutions. SolarWinds MSP is with you every step of the way.
- Monetize risk with MSP Risk Intelligence. Show key stakeholders the cost of threats in real dollars so they understand the importance of investing in security.
- Wipe out preventable threats with Proactive Security measures like web protection, patch management and email security.
- Stop new threats in their tracks with Detective Security measures like managed antivirus, active device discovery and failed login checks and rules.
- Stay on top of the latest insights with LOGICcards. Make data-driven decisions based on the real-time analysis of millions of endpoints across hundreds of thousands of networks.
About SolarWinds MSP
SolarWinds MSP delivers the only 100% SaaS, fully cloud-based IT service management (ITSM) platform, backed by collective intelligence and the highest levels of layered security. SolarWinds MSP's products including MSP Risk Intelligence, MSP RMM, MSP Backup & Recovery, Mail and Service Desk – comprise the market’s most widely trusted integrated solution.
Deployed on millions of endpoints across hundreds of thousands of networks, the platform has the industry vision to define and deliver the future of the market. SolarWinds MSP provides the most comprehensive IT security available as well as LOGICcards, the first ever IT notification feature powered by prescriptive analytics and machine learning.
SolarWinds MSP's passion is helping IT professionals secure and manage their systems and data through actionable insights, rewriting the rules of IT.
For more information, visit www.logicnow.com.
GFI (2009): https://www.gfi.com/whitepapers/why-organizations-need-to-archive-emails.pdf
GFI (2011): https://www.gfi.com/whitepapers/why-organizations-need-to-archive-emails.pdf
Advanced Discovery: http://www.advanceddiscovery.com/blog/2011/11/why-archive-email/