Devices and applications that are not able to receive sufficient bandwidth deliver sluggish performance that has a direct adverse affect on workflow, productivity and success.
To make matters more challenging, it is not unusual for organizations to go through sporadic periods of high demand, where bandwidth usage might be low for several hours, days or weeks, only to hit a bursty period that demands peak bandwidth usage.
Add the challenge of many bandwidth-rich business applications in use today — from cloud-based computing, video on demand, and Voiceover IP to everything Web — and it’s easy to see how companies can exhaust the bandwidth allocated from their Internet service provider (ISP) in no time. And when network traffic is high, systems, users and productivity all come to a screeching halt.
For many companies, requesting additional bandwidth from their ISP is not an option. Some ISPs have severe restrictions on the amount of bandwidth an organization can use in a month and charge extra if the company exceeds its allocated amount of bandwidth cap. Other ISPs restrict traffic at certain hours (for example, offering unlimited bandwidth only at night).
In an age of high-quality streaming business services that depend on copious amounts of bandwidth, these restrictions can be frustrating for your clients.
Your clients look to you to determine the right amount of bandwidth for their current requirements to determine whether any current bandwidth-hungry systems or software applications can be mollified. They will want to know how much bandwidth they will need as they bring additional hardware and applications online.
The best way to keep an eye on your clients’ bandwidth usage is by using a bandwidth monitoring tool. And there is no better tool on today’s market than the bandwidth monitoring software from SolarWinds MSP (formerly LOGICnow).
SolarWinds MSP’s Bandwidth Monitoring Tool
SolarWinds MSP’s software allows MSPs to pay close attention to the networks they manage to ensure that bandwidth is available for work related to their clients' critical tasks.
The software tracks network traffic at client sites over all areas of the network, including network connections, network devices (such as routers, switches and hubs) and software applications to provide MSPs with unique insight into network bandwidth utilization and traffic analysis. With this information, MSPs can:
- Measure the true amount of bandwidth being used
- Identify interfaces, connections, devices, software applications, users and protocols that are consuming bandwidth
- Identify bottlenecks and connectivity errors proactively
- Analyze traffic patterns over a period of time to forecast usage trends and predict potential bottlenecks
- Expose suspicious bandwidth usage that might lead to security issues such as DDoS attacks, unauthorized downloading, and other potentially malicious network behavior
- Reveal high-traffic flows to unmonitored ports
- Uncover unauthorized applications, such as file sharing and video streaming
SolarWinds MSP’s bandwidth monitoring software is an MSP’s best ally for monitoring bandwidth and traffic of your clients’ network. It provides you with detailed results in the form of real-time, dynamic graphs and table. Using this information, you can determine actual bandwidth usage consumption based on a variety of key performance indicators, such as devices, applications, IP addresses, port numbers and protocols.
By understanding the bandwidth and resource consumption of your clients, you can improve network management in the following ways:
- Identifying and resolving current and future bandwidth and server bottlenecks
- Reduce non-business bandwidth consumption
- Pinpoint application and server “bandwidth hogs” that are using the most bandwidth (such as YouTube, Pandora, Spotify, and games)
- Deliver superior quality of service by being proactive with your clients
- Save bandwidth costs for your clients by buying only the required bandwidth required to handle their actual load
Separating SolarWinds MSP from the Competition
SolarWinds MSP’s bandwidth reporting software stands apart from other IT solutions on the market by delivering MSP-friendly features that provide deep visibility into every aspect of managed networks from a single cloud-based dashboard.
Bandwidth reporting features can alert you when a client exceeds network load, bandwidth or other MSP-defined thresholds, so that immediate action can be taken before they impact your clients’ users, systems and applications and bottom line. You can also filter Internet activity to uncover spikes, trends and usage anomalies that can severely impact productivity.
More than Bandwidth Monitoring Alone
SolarWinds MSP's bandwidth reporting software is part of the larger family of comprehensive web protection solutions, including web filtering, antivirus, encryption, data backup and recovery and more. Together, the family of SolarWinds MSP products allows MSPs to offer their clients a complete network security solution proven to reduce productivity issues. Each and every solution has been designed from the ground up with MSPs in mind, and can be accessed from a single console dashboard.
The following sections summarize the holistic solutions that make up the SolarWinds MSP family.
Web filtering enhances your clients’ security posture by preventing access to malicious websites long before their computers and network are exposed to them.
Key benefits include:
- Removing non-business bandwidth to determine a company’s true bandwidth requirements once and for all Companies can then purchase the right amount of resources for their business processes, without having to spend a dime more for additional bandwidth
- Boosting performance of business applications and network resources by denying access to YouTube, BBC iPlayer, Hulu and other bandwidth-hungry sites
- Reducing liability hazards stemming from visits to websites hosting adult, discriminatory, gaming, dating, job, search and other inappropriate web content
- Minimizing costs related to malware outbreaks
- Increasing employee productivity by denying access to recreational, non-business and non-productive sites
- Raising a company’s bottom line because time is money and every hour spent on non-work activities has a direct adverse impact on the success of the organization
SolarWinds MSP’s antivirus solution is a cloud-based application. Signature patterns are updated and deployed to clients automatically, ensuring they receive protection from current and emerging viruses, Trojans and other malware on the cyber threat landscape.
When email stops, so does your clients’ business. Even a minimal of email downtime can translate into lost information, lost productivity, and lost data. This can also lead to a lost relationship with you if you fail to have contingency plans for dealing with this dire situation.
MSP Mail Protection from SolarWinds MSP ensures that your clients can send and receive email — even if their primary infrastructure is not available. Key features include:
- Continuous 24/7 email
- Multiple antivirus security
- Unparalleled spam protection
- Email archiving that is both secure and compliant
- Unlimited cloud-based email storage
- Support for third-party services such as Microsoft Outlook and. Office 365
Email encryption protects your clients’ incoming and outgoing emails against malware, phishing, spyware and viruses, which can steal personal data from you and from your clients. SolarWinds MSP’s leading edge technologies deliver total security by encrypting the three critical elements of an email session: the connection, the messages themselves and any archived messages.
SolarWinds MSP goes beyond email encryption by providing MSPs with total control over email management for their clients. Our software integrates seamlessly with Microsoft Outlook and Office 365, as well as many premise-only and cloud-based infrastructures to provide unsurpassed security when and where you need it.
Messages are processed and stored in bullet-proof data centers across the globe and protected by airtight AES 256-bit encryption. For clients who work in a highly regulated industry such as HIPAA PCI DSS, NERC CIP or SOX, SolarWinds MSP software not only keeps your clients compliant — it generates an audit trail so they can prove it!
The SolarWinds MSP software also protects clients from email-born threats, spam, viruses and malware, with an unsurpassed industry-leading success rate of 99% guaranteed.
Data Backup and Recovery
Backup from SolarWinds MSP backs up critical business data safely, efficiently and automatically to our geographically dispersed data centers. All data centers deliver round-the-clock physical security and comply with SSAE or ISO regulations. They also hold true to the promise of 99.999% uptime guarantee, ensuring that your client’s backup data is available for recovery whenever and wherever they need it.
For convenience, you can configure a default retention period for archiving backups or define custom retention periods in order to meet your clients’ policies or compliance mandates. Archived data is warehoused in one of seven global data centers.
For convenience, data can be backed up at the file, volume and application levels. To ensure that the information is kept confidential, 128-, 256-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption or 448-bit Blowfish encryption is used to secure the data, whether it is in transit or at rest. And because today’s enterprises are not limited to a single operating system, MSP Backup was designed to run on a myriad of OSes, including Microsoft Windows and Windows Server, Unix, Mac OSX,and more.
Statistics show that the prospects of recovering corrupt or lost data is not an “if,” but a “when.” When that day comes for your clients, you can easily recover the information using an intuitive self-service web portal or engage our assistance to deliver the information directly to the desired destination.
Learn more about our network bandwidth monitoring software today.