Backup vs Archive
The ability to access and recover data is important for companies of all sizes. Data backup vs. archive are two ways you can accomplish this, but how do you know which your company should be using? Let's take a look at the differences between backups and archiving and discuss how to know which is right for you.
What is a Backup?
A backup is a copy of data that can be used to restore the original in the event that your data is lost or damaged. If a company experiences data loss due to hardware failure, human error or natural disaster, a backup can be used to quickly restore that data.
What is an Archive?
An archive is a collection of historical records that are kept for long-term retention and used for future reference. Typically, archives contain data that is not actively used.
Basically, a backup is a copy of a set of data, while an archive holds original data that has been removed from its original location.
Backup vs. Archive: What Does This Mean for Your Team?
As an MSP, you know companies need to protect their data in the event of an emergency, keeping all employees' information safe. As mentioned before, data backup is helpful in the event of major data loss, as it allows your clients to quickly restore their data back to its original state. However, backing up large amounts of data can cause the backup infrastructure to run slowly.
File archiving works with data backup to reduce backup costs and reduce the strain large amounts of data put on your storage infrastructure. The goal of file archiving is not to restore lost data quickly, but to store data and organize it in a way that you can easily search through it to find specific information.
You should not pit data backup against data archiving; you should use them together to more efficiently store and recover data and reduce backup time and cost.
Backup and Archiving Solutions from SolarWinds MSP (formerly LOGICnow)
SolarWinds MSP’s MSP Backup & Recovery includes a data archiving feature, making it easy for you to manage your data from a single dashboard. Our backup solution works with most platforms and applications and features a backup accelerator that speeds up the restoration of large amounts of data.
Our data backup solution also includes:
- File versioning
- Private key encryption
- Deep de-duplication, altered data tracking and WAN
- Local backup storage
- Flexible recovery options
And our data archiving feature includes:
- Comprehensive platform support
- Granular data selection
- AES 128-bit, AES 256-bit or 448-bit Blowfish private key encryption
- Hybrid-cloud archiving
- Centralized monitoring and reporting
Backup With Continuous Recovery
It’s vital that businesses recover systems to their last known optimal data configuration. MSP Backup & Recovery is designed to backup IT systems on a continuous basis to a virtual server that is always ready to spring into action as soon as disasters happen.
Additional features of MSP Backup & Recovery include:
- True Delta. Changes are tracked at the block level, which enables fast, efficient backups. And our backups are lightweight and don't put a strain on your resources. This leads to better success.
- Automatic updates. Virtual servers are standing by ready to be updated after backup of each live server is complete.
- Lightweight restores. Backups and restores are as light as possible, so you aren't monopolizing assets.
- Virtual system support. Hyper-V and VMWare ESX platforms are supported natively.
- Rapid recovery. Because our solution can support both physical and virtual servers, it can select the fastest source in the event of a disaster. This gets you up and running again as quickly as possible.
- Simple dashboard. Our web-based console keeps you on top of all backups. See what's going on at a glance.
- Top-notch protection. Enjoy round-the-clock data protection at industry-certified data centers. They're all either ISO-certified or SSAE-compliant.
Data Archiving With Flexible Retention
Even if your client is not strongly regulated, maintaining a data archive is a wise business practice. A viable archive translates to the ability to access critical data years later — data that might seem trivial at the time it is stored. The archiving of a backed-up file is as easy as clicking a button, which ensures that it can be kept for as long as necessary.
Additional archive features include:
- Cross-platform support. MSP Backup & Recovery supports all major platforms (including Windows, Mac OS X and UNIX). You can also archive application data from SQL Server, MySQL, Exchange, Oracle and SharePoint.
- Granular choice of data. No matter the size of the file, system or server, MSP Backup & Recovery can be customized to the data sets that need to be protected.
- Encryption. We use industry standard private key encryption (AES 128-bit, AES 256-bit or 448-bit Blowfish) to ensure data archive security.
- Robust security. Secure keys are not shared and can only be accessed by the user.
- Hybrid-cloud archiving. The archive data is preserved both locally and in the cloud.
- Central monitoring and reporting. Your archives can be managed from a central dashboard that keeps you in the know about all activities.
Add Comprehensive Layered Security
It’s wise to use several layers of defenses to shield from security risks. There are a host of security issues that can damage a business’ profitability.
With SolarWinds MSP's layered security solution, you can:
- Scan for vulnerabilities, monetize risk and make a compelling case for security with MSP Risk Intelligence.
- Prevent data breaches before they start with web protection, patch management and email security.
- Detect the newest threats with managed antivirus, active device discovery and failed login checks and rules.
- Use the latest data-driven industry insights with LOGICcards to enhance your security posture.
Start your free 30-day trial today and discover how MSP Backup & Recovery can benefit you.
About SolarWinds MSP
SolarWinds MSP delivers the only 100% SaaS, fully cloud-based IT service management (ITSM) platform, backed by collective intelligence and the highest levels of layered security. SolarWinds MSP’s products including Risk Intelligence, Remote Management, Backup & Disaster Recovery, Mail, and Service Desk – comprise the market’s most widely trusted integrated solution.
Deployed on millions of endpoints across hundreds of thousands of networks, the platform has the industry vision to define and deliver the future of the market. SolarWinds MSP provides the most comprehensive IT security available as well as SolarWinds MSP, the first ever IT notification feature powered by prescriptive analytics and machine learning.
SolarWinds MSP's passion is helping IT professionals secure and manage their systems and data through actionable insights, rewriting the rules of IT.
For more information, visit www.solarwindsmsp.com.
Computer World: http://www.computerworld.com/article/2557956/disaster-recovery/archive-and-backup--what-s-the-difference-.html