Depending on several factors, the emotions you feel at recovery time can vary. If you haven’t tested your backups or they’ve been problematic in the past, you may, indeed, feel terror. If you’ve relied upon a low-end file- or folder-only backup tool, the thought of a full bare-metal restore can be terrifying.
When the heat is on and the customer is waiting, the pressure is bad enough. You don’t need to compound it by facing the unfamiliar. Three things you can do now can help decrease the terror of that moment:
- Be certain you have a backup solution that is reliable and designed for fast recovery. How can you know this is the case?
- TEST YOUR BACKUPS! Testing recoverability on a calm day, with no one watching, is the only way to be confident when the heat is on. Don’t delay, do it today.
- For your most demanding customers (with the least tolerance for downtime) consider keeping a standby server at the ready. Set your backups to replicate to this standby machine, and when the crucial moment comes, you can simply switch over to it—and keep things running smoothly.
Removing the terror of recovery time
Taking care of these things in advance can reduce the terror of recovery time. But if you choose the right data protection solution, you can also minimize the tedium of the boring days. Here are some things to look for:
- A single multi-tenant dashboard that will let you manage backups across all your customers and their many data sources and devices. Color-coded charts will make it even easier. In the case of SolarWinds® Backup, if the donut chart at the top of the screen is all green, you know with one glance all protected devices have been successfully backed up so you don’t have to spend any more time on it.
- Standardizing on one data protection product will reduce your boring daily tasks significantly. Consider the time it takes to log into five or six different products, reset your thinking to each one’s different interface, and perform the same checks and tasks five or six different ways. It doesn’t have to be this way. Using a single product to protect all your customers, and all their device and data types, can make a tremendous difference in your quality of daily admin life.
- A data protection solution that doesn’t require a proprietary appliance can reduce the boring administrative work by eliminating trips to the customer site to expand the memory of a device, repair a failed appliance, or replace it entirely. Direct-to-cloud backups with a local copy to an existing network share can save you time.
If you’re feeling like your backups are controlling you, it doesn’t have to be that way. By putting the right data protection solution in place—and the right advance preparation—you can take control of backup and recovery—and reduce the boredom and terror.
Carrie Reber is senior product marketing manager for SolarWinds MSP.